Elder Davis B Cox

Elder Davis B Cox

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

February 24, 2015 - Blog Material

In about 12 hours from right now I will be leaving to get on a plane to head out to Iowa. And yes I'm writing this at 3:00 in the afternoon which means I am leaving here at 3:00 a.m. so I might be getting my first nap of the mission on the plane!

I am very excited to go out, but I am also very sad to be leaving the MTC. This place is the most spiritual, happy, uplifting place I have ever been in my life. Every single day I have spiritual and learning experiences that literally change my life and have made my testimony of the Holy Ghost grow SO much. I've always heard people say that the spirit will tell you what to say in the times that you need it, and I thought I knew what that was. For example when I would bear my testimony or something like that back at home. But now I truly know what that means while I've been here and been in lessons with investigators. I will be in the middle of a conversation with an investigator and words will flow out of my mouth and I have no idea where they came from or how I thought of something like that. 
Some spiritual highlights of this week:

I had the opportunity to hear the Character of Christ talk, by Elder Bednar. It's a talk he gave here at the MTC so it is only shown to missionaries while they are here at the MTC. This talk changed my life and the way I look at the world it was amazing I can't even explain it. A summary won't do it any justice but the basis of it is that the Character of Christ is that he turns out to others when we ourselves would turn inward. Which means when Christ was going through difficult times He didn't turn inward and feel sorry for himself, He turned outward and turned His trials into blessing other's lives. 
- Testimony meeting with the district before everyone went their seperate ways (yes I made everyone cry again it was awesome). During that testimony meeting everyone in our district ended up kind of sharing a trial they had gone through. I know that we were all put in that district together for a reason because every single person in my little district of 8 have been through some BRUTAL trials in our life. Health trials, family trials, depression, you name it. There was a Sister in my district who is from Aurora and had several of her close friends who were shot in the theater shooting there a couple years ago. It was amazing and so humbling to hear how the gospel had all helped them get through those things.
- Got to give Sister Schrader a blessing and help Elder Keele give his first blessing. 
- Singing Called to Serve with all the departing missionaries was THE COOLEST thing in the world!! I couldn't stop smiling for like 20 minutes after that.
- Every minute of everyday I feel the spirit and I have never been happier in my entire life.

While I have been here at the MTC I have gained a true appreciation for the trials that I have gone through. I have such a strong testimony that everything that happened to me, happened at a specific time for a specific reason. I would never wish my trials upon my worst enemy, but they have helped make me into the person I am today and I wouldn't want to be anything else. I know that I was sent on this mission at this time so that I could meet people who I can connect with my story. Starting with my district. We were put together so that we could share our trials with each other and help uplift and inspire each other through the gospel. I have never shared more about my health trials than I have here at the MTC with these 7 other people. They have helped show me how, if we have a positive attitude about them, Heavenly Father helps us turn the terrible things that have happened in our lives into situations that truly "Give us experience, and shall be for our good." (D&C 122:7)(My favorite scripture) 


Love Elder Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment