Elder Davis B Cox

Elder Davis B Cox

Sunday, June 12, 2016

May 29, 2016

Marissa got baptized this week! Our mission president always says it takes 17 miracles to get someone baptized. Marissa took 18. But even after being antied by her family and friends around her she knew it was right and did it! She has a little social anxiety so she was nervous about being baptized in front of people, and especially nervous about being confirmed in front of the whole congregation. But she said that the Holy Ghost comforted her and took away her anxiety. And after both her baptism and confirmation she was super happy and felt so comfortable around the people. Even the "over-touchy women members of the church" who wanted to just hug her to pieces with congratulations.

We also had a really great experience with the converting power of the Book of Mormon. We were teaching a lady named April the 2nd lesson (BoM). Since our first lesson she had been told by her pastor to throw away the Book of Mormon and pamphlet that we gave her because it was apostate and adding to the bible. So she was very hesitant and refused to even hold a BoM at first. But after several (30) minutes of trying to explain to her that the Book of Mormon was scripture and talked about Jesus Christ I finally just asked her if we could read a couple verses with her. We read 2 Nephi 31. We started off each reading 2 verses. I read 1-2, Elder Chase read 3-4, and she read 5-6, but before she could even finish reading verse 6 she stopped and said "How could I reject this!! This is amazing it talks about Jesus Christ and you can just feel the spirit in the words of this prophet Nefi!" She had a total change of heart and accepted the BoM after reading just 6 verses. 

My mom shared with me some thoughts from sacrament meeting last week about the hymns and the spiritual power of them. She asked me to share some of my favorites. I have grown to love hymns so much more on my mission and have several favorites, but I'll share 3.

319-Ye Elders of Israel. I love this one because of the power and unity I feel when I sing it in a priesthood quorum. (And it's the opening hymn at priesthood opening exercises every other week it seems like) I also love the lines "O Babylon, O Babylon we bid thee farewell" 

136- I know that my Redeemer Lives 
So I learned something cool about this one a while ago. In the bible in Job 19, Job is talking about all the trials and everything that he's been but through, the worst health trials, family and friends betrayed him, all these terrible things but then in verses 23-25 he says "Oh that my words were now written.. That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know the my redeemer liveth"
So everytime I sing that song I think like Job, that by singing those words I'm testifying of my Savior as strongly as if I'm writing it with an Iron pen.

270- I'll go where you want me to go - Nuff said.


Also I got transferred again so I will be serving in the Easter Lake ward again! And I will be in a trio with Elder Banta and Elder Lords for a few weeks. So from here on out I will be emailing on Sundays instead of Mondays. Also you can just send any mail to the mission office: 
8515 Douglas Ave st. 19 
Urbandale, IA 50322


No comments:

Post a Comment