Elder Davis B Cox

Elder Davis B Cox

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 12, 2016 - Justins Baptism



Hey family sorry I'm getting on a little late today, we had a baptism today after Stake Conference for Justin! 

The baptism was great Justin is a 12 year old kid who is just a straight stud. His mom is from Liberia and got baptized a few years ago. We finally got permission from Justin's step dad and real dad and got him baptized and confirmed today. He's a pretty quiet and reserved kid but he had a big smile on his face all day today and was just super happy. 

This week we had Stake Conference, and although I missed the last half of the session today filling up the font for Justin's baptism (totally worth it) I got a ton out of it. We had Elder Scott of the Seventy here and he gave a really great talk in the adult session last night. He gave some great insight about the brethren's focus on the Sabbath day lately. I can't remember which Apostle he was quoting but this is a part of that quote that was given by an Apostle to the Seventy: "The world is going south in every possible way. Our calling as prophets, seers, and revelators is to see 5-10 years into the future and teach the members of the church what will best protect them from the upcoming temptations and evils." 

Woah. I gained a strong testimony of revelation and the Sabbath Day. And I don't know what the world is going to do in a few years from now to try to wreck the Sabbath (more than it's already trying), but I know that if we follow the repeated counsel to keep it holy now we will be safe.

Also last night at the adult session there was an international choir since there's so many Africans here in Des Moines. So they got approved by the Stake President to have drums in the chapel and sang a few African hymns (Give me Jesus, Jesus is real to me, etc.) and then ended with Israel, Israel God is Calling (African/drum version) It was so cool!

Other than that this week was just crazy busy with transfers. I got to meet Zach Seljaas, the BYU basketball player who just came to our mission. He's 6'8 so it was really easy to pick him out coming down the escalator at the airport. I also had to say goodbye to Elder Banta though and that was sad. He was only my 2nd companion to go home so far.. even though he was only my comp for 2 weeks. Love ya Stetson.

Love you all have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment